The data explosion in healthcare through digital health networks goes hand in hand with concerns of data privacy and security. The recent WannaCry ransomware attack impaired the smooth operation of several NHS hospitals in the UK; and led to burning questions about the state of IT security in healthcare on the individual or systemic level, […]
It was high time that the stethoscope, the symbol of the medical profession, was upgraded to represent the state of play in healthcare in the 21st century. Here, I reviewed the Eko Core digital stethoscope allowing the medical community to listen to lung and heart sounds crystal-clearly and digitize the results within seconds.
Although the medical tricorder will remain a dream to be chased by digital health innovators for the years to come, I collected the portable, digital health diagnostic devices currently on the market in case anyone is thinking about purchasing an effective gadget making the patient the point of care.
How many times have I tried to promote the educational opportunities Second Life provides?
Well, now the healthcare team of Barack Obama tries to see how such a virtual world could be used while reforming healtchare.
Draxtor Despres has recently participated in a community discussion on healthcare and looked at the potential:
This year, I will attend again the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality 17 conference that will take place in Long Beach, CA between the 19th and the 22nd of January. Now I’m a member of the organizing committee and have been managing a blog for the conference for a few months.
I will present a slideshow “Practicing medicine in the web 2.0 era” and will also present in the Salon:
University of Debrecen, Hungary
Demonstration: Discovering the Virtual World of Medicine through Second Life provides medical educators and students with numerous educational opportunities and tools while visiting the places and islands that can change the way medical education is delivered today.
Scifoo lives on is a conferences series launched by Jean-Claude Bradley. After several successful events, we keep on organizing new ones but now would like you to weigh in. Which topic we should dedicate the next sessions to in 2009?
- 23andMe in Second Life: LIVE
- Nature’s role in e-Science: Second Life conference LIVE
- Famous Scientific Bloggers in Second Life: LIVE
- Live Coverage: SciFoo lives on session about videos in science
- Live Coverage Now: SciFoo lives on session about the definition of Open Science
- SciFoo lives on in Second Life: Web 2.0 and Medicine
- SciFoo lives on: in Second Life
First, Merry Christmas to you all, dear readers!
Second, we plan to do many more medical simulations in Second Life at the Ann Myers Medical Center. If you are a doctor, a nurse or a healthcare worker interested in virtual education and would like to give a slideshow about your field of interest, please send me an e-mail (berci.mesko at gmail.com).
To see a few examples, please check these posts and screenshots.
- Live Blogging Today: First Medical Simulation in Second Life!
- Unique Medical Simulation in Second Life!
- Everything about Second Life and Medical Education
- Virtual Medical Center: the Future of Medical Education
- Take Part in Constructing the Future of Medical Education: Join the Virtual Medical Center
- Scientific Research and Medicine in Second Life