In Second Life, the virtual world, there are so many tools in several aspects of medicine. Here I present just a few examples:
- Virtual Reality to Fight Real Paranoia (Medgadget)
- Medical Education in Second Life (Medical Education Blog):
- A Second Life on Second Life (The Health Care Blog)
- New home for Second Nature (Nascent): Second Nature is a fantastic island organized by Nature and that is the site where we organize our Scifoo lives on sessions as well.
A woman with depression chats openly with a mental health professional she has never met in person. A gentleman attending a multi-national meeting cannot negotiate the steps because of his cerebral palsy, so he “flies” his wheelchair onto the stage where he gives a presentation on the power of modern computing. A lonely, elderly man in the United States spends an evening sharing his feelings with a girlfriend in Chile.
- The Virtual World Gets Healthy (SLHealthy.wetpaint.com): Since starting in August of 2007, the SLHealthy wiki has catalogued 149 different health groups and has had over 2,000 visitors from all over the world.
- Nature’s role in e-Science: Second Life conference LIVE
- Famous Scientific Bloggers in Second Life: LIVE
- SciFoo lives on in Second Life: Web 2.0 and Medicine