Salvatora Laconesi is an Italian man who recently found out he has brain cancer. Being a good coder, he cracked the code of his medical records and made the data open source so then anyone can analyze it (researchers, medical professionals, artists, etc.). This is the approach ePatient Dave regularly talks about: Let Patients Help!
Here is what happened to him:
- I have a brain cancer.
- I went to get my digital medical records.
- Sadly they were in a closed, proprietary format.
- I cracked them.
- Shared them with everyone.
- 2 of them already replied.
- Grab the information about my disease, if you want, and give me a CURE: create a video, an artwork, a map, a text, a poem, a game, or try to find a solution for my health problem.
- This is a CURE. This is my OPEN SOURCE CURE.