We should all forget about the usual scientist-profile with the strange clothes, wild hair and old glasses. According to the Elementlist.com:
My concern grew out of discussions with non-scientists and their stereotyped views of scientists as isolated, possiby nutty geeks with wild hair.
What is a modern scientist like? A modern scientist
- is modern (I mean new technology, new ideas)
- can communicate with laypeople. They can tell them what they’re working on without using latin/technological/buzzword-like expressions.
- is ready to collaborate via the web (Google Docs; Second Life; Community Sites)
- supports Open Notebook Science
- supports and uses regularly Open Access Journals (PLoS One)
- uses Second Life to teach students from around the world
- writes an own blog
- doesn’t spend hours each week in a library, but uses RSS reader